Admissions - Apply OnlineWe are now accepting applications for the 2017-2018 school year. Please complete the Online Admission Application Form to apply for a place for your child in our Early Childhood or Elementary programs. Apply Online
Country Montessori offers programs for children ages 2 years and 6 months to age 10. CMS does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, or political belief. Each application for admission is assessed individually, pursuant to the enrollment criteria for the programs and curriculum of CMS.
The environment can adapt to students of varying academic abilities and diverse learning styles. Children with exceptional needs (behavioral/emotional, developmental, learning differences) are accepted at Country Montessori if the Head of School, Director of Admissions and Enrollment, classroom teachers, and the parents feel the child’s needs can be met within the Country Montessori setting. The school makes every reasonable attempt to guide children to success in the program. Nevertheless, all new students are admitted with a 60-day probationary status.
Country Montessori School follows the calendar for the Poway Unified School District. Childcare or summer camp is available for most days when the school is not in session.
Childcare is available between the hours of 7:00 – 8:00 a.m., and between 2:30 – 6:00 pm for Early Childhood children and between 3:00 – 6:00 pm for Elementary children. The cost is $7.00/hour billed in 1 hour increments or unlimited childcare for $250 per month. Childcare when the school is closed is billed at $45 for the whole day and $25 for 5 hours or less.
…Now that the school year has been under its way for almost a month, we look back and realize how true the staff’s remarks were and how much relaxed we are all as a family.
Despite the occasional initial fussing, our son adapted wonderfully to his school environment. He has become confident, more verbal, expressive, and very social! He has learned how to work/play independently and in a group setting as well.
As for his separation anxiety, it has been reduced to a minimal and we do not experience frequent bouts of tantrum due to his improved communication skills. We owe these changes to Country Montessori School’s teaching system, to his teachers and the entire school’s environment. Our experience further confirms how much a suitable educational setting can influence and nourish young minds and souls. Thank you Country Montessori School for providing such outstanding service to the community! We all look forward to many great years of learning together. We feel very lucky to be a part of this family.
The Binaei Family - Dragonflies 2015
Early Childhood (Preschool and Kindergarten) Program
For a child to be considered for our Early Childhood (Preschool and Kindergarten) program, he or she must be at least 2 years 6 months by September 1 of the school year.
- Toilet trained
- Kindergartners must be 5 years old by September 1
For a child to be considered for our Elementary Programs, he or she must be at least 6 years old by September 1
- Write his/her name and write numbers
- Verbalize his/her needs
- Respect classroom rules and relate positively to peers and adults
- Read phonetically and recognize words
- Concentrate and complete tasks
- Take direction from an adult
- Make work choices independently
In addition to the above criteria, prospective 1st through 5th level elementary students from outside of Country Montessori must:
- submit student evaluations
- be assessed for their aptitude to benefit positively from the program
- have student and parent interviews with appropriate classroom teachers and Head of School
- Tours and observations are available by appointment. Please call the office to schedule.
- When the decision to apply is made, complete the application form online.
- If the application is for a 1st Level or above student from a non-CMS family, the child will be invited to an elementary classroom for assessment.
- Admission decisions are made by the Admissions Committee.
- Once your student is admitted you will receive a packet of Enrollment papers. You must return these with a deposit of one month’s tuition and the registration fee to hold a place.
- You will be invited to an orientation where the child/ren will meet their teacher.
If a place is not immediately available, you may wish to be placed in our wait list.
Order of Acceptance
Applications are accepted in the following order:
- Current CMS students whose enrollment contract and payment of fees are received by an established re-enrollment deadline.
- Siblings of current CMS students whose enrollment contract and payment of fees are received by an established re-enrollment deadline. If selecting 1st level must have been in Kindergarten at CMS.
- New students with a Montessori background whose ages will achieve balanced age groups and levels in the classrooms. This includes siblings enrolling from other Montessori Kindergarten programs.
- New students with a commitment to the three-year cycle
Applications for the 1st Level Elementary students will be date and time stamped. If the number of these applications from current families over subscribes the places available in the 1st level Elementary program, then the date and time of receipt will be the deciding factor.
Prospective students for the new Academic year will be not considered for enrollment until the re-enrollment period is over for the current families.
Once the school year has commenced, entrance into the program will be considered on an individual basis.
The Admissions Committee reviews applications of all new students. When a child is placed in one of our programs and classrooms, the following is considered: boy/girl ratio, ability level, prior Montessori experience, age, classroom size, and special needs. A well-balanced classroom is critical for the success of both new and returning students.
For children moving up into our next program level, class placement is based on the aforementioned criteria in addition to input by teachers from both of the levels involved. Preferences for a specific classroom are considered, but not guaranteed.
It is up to the discretion of the Head of School and teachers as to whether it is appropriate for siblings to be placed in the same classroom.
The financial responsibility of parents is detailed in the enrollment contract. The enrollment contract signed online and payment of the non-refundable registration fee and last month’s tuition deposit indicate that parents wish to enroll their child for the contract period. Acceptance of the enrollment contract and non-refundable registration fee and last month’s tuition deposit allow the school to reserve a space for the child.
The enrollment contract states that tuition is payable in two parts:
- The non-refundable tuition deposit and registration fee
- The monthly tuition payments
The tuition deposit is not refundable, transferable, or pro-ratable. Therefore, if the child does not attend, or attends for less than the contracted period, no matter the reason, the tuition deposit will not be reimbursed.
The balance of the tuition is paid in monthly installments by ACH (Automated Clearing House) or by check on the 5th of the month.
The non-refundable tuition deposit paid at time of enrollment is applied to the last monthly payment
A sibling discount of 10% for the second child and 15% for the third child will be subtracted from the tuition of the second and subsequent child(ren). This discount does not apply to childcare or summer camps.
Tuition is a yearly sum, divided according to the payment plan chosen. Therefore, as school expenses remain unaffected by absence, no tuition allowances will be made for absence caused by illness, vacation, or any other reason. Tuition payment is required, regardless of absence for an extended period.
In the event a student withdraws from CMS, the parent and/or guardian must provide written notice at least 30 days prior to the effective withdrawal date. With this written notice, CMS will waive the obligation to pay the unpaid balance of the annual tuition. Regardless of the amount of notice given to CMS for student withdrawals, the non-refundable registration fee and last month’s tuition deposit will not be returned
About the Name Montessori
The name “Montessori” is in the public domain. Anyone can use it and claim to be a “Montessori School.” That’s why we encourage you to do your homework before you enroll your child anywhere.
- Visit the school
- Ask your friends who have recent experience with the school
- Check the staff’s credentials, training, and experience
- Choose the school with a history of success with alumni that possess the qualities you most want for your child.
- Inquire who the school is affiliated and accredited by.
Please be aware that some schools advertise themselves as “Montessori Inspired” or “Montessori Based.” Although these may be fine schools, they are not authentic Montessori schools.
Summer Camp Registration
Summer brings out fun camps at CMS! Each week is a different theme which lets children explore an interest or develop a new skill. All camps include arts and crafts and lots of hands on learning. Camps are led by CMS staff who are all experienced educators. Children can be enrolled for each week individually. Half day and full day camps are available. Children should bring lunch. There is also time to play in Country Montessori School’s large playgrounds. The 3-acre campus in Poway provides a peaceful and secure environment. Childcare is available both before and after camp. Cricket Camp is for 2.5 year olds through to incoming kindergartners and Kookaburra Camp is for 1st through incoming 5th graders.