Our elementary program extends our Early Childhood (Preschool and Kindergarten) program. The material continues to build for our six to nine-year-old students.
For students transitioning age groups at CMS, teachers meet and discuss each child’s social, emotional, and academic needs.
The curriculum for Lower Elementary students includes reading and introducing critical thinking, mathematics, geometry, history, geography, the study of maps, botany, zoology, language arts, and language arts.
At this age, we also focus on Peace Education: We devote a section of the classroom to sustaining a calm environment. Children can sit quietly, read a book about peace, relax, or meet with friends to resolve problems using the learned conversational tools.
Alongside the standard Montessori curriculum, we offer enrichment classes for each age group. We’ve identified the following classes as advantageous to help develop the whole child, especially in modern technology times.
Lower Elementary Enrichment classes:
- Spanish: Our Spanish instructor approaches her lessons from a cultural, innovative, and accurate aspect, aligning the curriculum with Montesorri lessons and structure.
- Music: Every student experiences weekly music instruction given by a specialized teacher. Our music teacher provides children a warm, nurturing, safe, and loving environment. Montessori students are presented with music instruction that includes singing, movement, theory, instrument exposure, and music history. One of our favorite times of year is the Spring Fling, a music performance prepared by our students.
- Art: Students experience art lessons introducing various media and techniques.
- Computer Skills: Students work with various computer skills and programs through one weekly class.
- Physical Education: Country Montessori School’s Physical Education Instructor guides children through a program promoting the development of their physical attributes and social skills.